Thursday, February 03, 2011

Kelsea's First Professional Riding Lesson

Today I went to my first riding lesson! Well, the first one taught by someone other than my Mommy that is. I've been practicing and waiting, learning to balance, stop, and turn on my own, and Mommy's been researching, trying to find the right barn for our family. We think this might be the one, it's called Riding With Style and is owned by Carmen Stiles. For my first lesson I rode Maddy (short for Madison) a Haflinger mare. She is super sweet, with a silky soft mane and tail. I was so excited to work with a pony for the first time! Julie, the barn manager, handed me a halter and showed me how to catch her and lead her in, how to groom and tack up. Then it was time for me to ride!
I'm working on keeping me heels down, my thumbs up and my hands together. Julie and Carmen say that I'll work on the lunge line for a few weeks, just to make sure I can handle things on my own before they set me free (since the arena is not fenced).

No comments: